This photo was taken almost 4 years ago, and although its true that memories fade, and although you can't see my face in the picture, I'm pretty sure I was smiling. The dirt alone was enough to make a person cry, for heaven's sake, never mind the blisters, but I was grinning from ear to ear. I took this picture of my feet on the second day of the Boston 3-Day For the Cure, a 60-mile walk aimed at raising money and awareness to combat breast cancer. This was the first weekend in August, 2007 and it was 104 degrees. I don't think anyone's feet were made to sweat that much - so, yup - we got blisters - and heat rash - and sun burn. But no one that I encountered over those three days - and there were about 2,000 of us - no one, was whining. Why? Because the people of "The 3-Day" are a rising tide that inspires and lifts us all. I had never before been around that many strong, selfless, gracious and determined human beings in one place. The spirit of The 3-Day is infectious and I hope this blog will continue its spread. Maybe by talking about what I go through to fundraise and train for a 3-Day event, I can help people stay motivated and committed. I am proud to be associated with this cause. I am grateful I have the strength to walk. And I'm filled with joy that I can do it with such a great group of people. So I'll buck up and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Feel free to join me. But remember; no whining allowed!





Monday, June 21, 2010

Climb Every Mountain

Over Father's Day weekend, my husband participated in the Mount Washington Road Race. It is a 7.6 mile climb (they call it a run but when the slope exceeds 20 percent, I think it's fair to say it's a climb) and while some people manage to finish the race running, others are happy to walk or crawl as the case may be. If you are not familiar with Mount Washington, it is the highest point in the northeast at 6,288 feet and is known for having pretty much the worst weather in the world. The highest temperature ever recorded there was only 72 degrees and the average annual snowfall is 256 inches. The strongest wind measured on the mountain exceeded 230 miles per hour and fog is reported about 300 days out of every year. The race has been around for 50 years and running it has sort of been on my husband's "bucket list" for a while. I'm glad to have it behind him, although he says he'd like to sign up again, train harder and do better. I think he's nuts and am just thrilled he completed it without injury or ailment. I keep telling him he has plenty to be proud of to have simply finished. (Any of this sound familiar?!)

Anyway, while he was off with the guys racing around the wilds of New Hampshire, I was back home in little Rhody, elevation 20, and I attempted to take the boys to the beach on Sunday. The fog rolled in so thick along the coast that the lifeguards wouldn't let children in the water because they couldn't see them well enough to keep them safe. We gave up and went home.

I went for a walk later on and realized how much I like walking in the fog. You can only see a short way ahead so the distance you still have to travel doesn't come across like this infinite, unattainable course. You're just going so far as you can see and then doing that again. Walkers who are experienced with The 3 Day are always quick to point out that it's not a death march situation. Its just a whole bunch of little walks strung together, connected by pit stops, Grab and Go's and a mid-day meal. It is sound advice to think of it that way. Anyone can do three miles. As my dad would say, "You can stand on your head and gargle peanut butter for three miles." Then you take a break; eat a banana, drink some water, stretch; and do it again. Just go to where the fog thickens and see how it looks. Take a break. Try to see what lies beyond. You can walk that far.

The motto of the Mount Washington Road Race is "Only one hill." (Not - "The whole thing is one giant, wicked intimidating big-a** MOUNTAIN that will make you puke and pant and limp!!" Just, "Only one hill." ) You can do that.

If you are having trouble training for The 3 Day because you can't find a way to crow-bar those 15 or 18 miles into your schedule, remember not to take the "60 miles" part of it so seriously. If the big number is intimidating, break it down; spread it out; carve it up. Maybe think of it as 20 three mile walks; or 12 five mile walks; whatever your most comfortable training increment is. Once you start tackling those small, measurable goals, you'll start to feel the vastness of the 60 mile gap start to close. And Mount Washington will start to look like just a hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment