This photo was taken almost 4 years ago, and although its true that memories fade, and although you can't see my face in the picture, I'm pretty sure I was smiling. The dirt alone was enough to make a person cry, for heaven's sake, never mind the blisters, but I was grinning from ear to ear. I took this picture of my feet on the second day of the Boston 3-Day For the Cure, a 60-mile walk aimed at raising money and awareness to combat breast cancer. This was the first weekend in August, 2007 and it was 104 degrees. I don't think anyone's feet were made to sweat that much - so, yup - we got blisters - and heat rash - and sun burn. But no one that I encountered over those three days - and there were about 2,000 of us - no one, was whining. Why? Because the people of "The 3-Day" are a rising tide that inspires and lifts us all. I had never before been around that many strong, selfless, gracious and determined human beings in one place. The spirit of The 3-Day is infectious and I hope this blog will continue its spread. Maybe by talking about what I go through to fundraise and train for a 3-Day event, I can help people stay motivated and committed. I am proud to be associated with this cause. I am grateful I have the strength to walk. And I'm filled with joy that I can do it with such a great group of people. So I'll buck up and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Feel free to join me. But remember; no whining allowed!





Friday, July 9, 2010

Two Weeks Away


AAaaahhhh - I breathe a sigh of unenthused acceptance as I re-enter reality after being on vacation last week. Apologies to all who checked in here expecting to see an update that just didn't come. I had every intention of posting while I was away, but I guess I just got toooo relaxed - which isn't a bad thing. But I must say that when I got back and received the "Two-Week Training Alert" I think I had some sort of minor convulsion! Wow - time really does fly when you're having fun! So now we, the Boston Walkers, have access to all our route and cheering station information and at least a general idea of where camp is - and we have been ordered to print out our credentials next Friday and be ready to go! I am happy to report that I finally met my fund-raising minimum while I was away so I won't have that to worry about during "crunch time." Thanks to all who contributed - we couldn't do it without you!!


The photo I have included shows where I spent last week - Natural Tunnel State Park in Virginia. We did quite a bit of walking and maybe you can tell from the picture that its hilly to say the least. I went with a group of kids, ages 6 - 16 (my children and various nieces, nephews and cousins) down to the tunnel and then back up and out again. I have to admit, there was the slightest hint of a whine emanating by the end - but for the most part, the kids did great! It was a challenging hike and I am very proud of them.
I have a number of other things that I want to say about my vacation because my eyes were opened to a couple of realities that I think are both interesting and relevant. But I think I will save them for next time because there seems to be something more pressing that has come up. Some of you who follow other 3-Day blogs may have seen 3-Day Ambassador John Welsh's recent posts at his site http://www.60miles3days.com/. (He is also the Dallas Energizer Keep Going Blogger) He is a proponent of an idea that originated here at "Whining Causes Blisters." Back before Fathers' Day, I wrote a piece in honor of all the men associated with The 3-Day and suggested that they collectively be named People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive." You can find the post here under the title "Thanks Guys." We are now trying to push this idea at People and are hoping others will join us. We are asking that people send letters to the editors at the magazine encouraging them to consider doing something to recognize "the men of the 3-day." I have written a letter that I would be happy to share as a template or starting place and you could add your own details - or - just copy it verbatim and "second the nomination!" If you would like to participate, please let me know and I'll help any way that I can. Letters should be sent to editor@people.com. Thanks a lot - let's make this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment