This photo was taken almost 4 years ago, and although its true that memories fade, and although you can't see my face in the picture, I'm pretty sure I was smiling. The dirt alone was enough to make a person cry, for heaven's sake, never mind the blisters, but I was grinning from ear to ear. I took this picture of my feet on the second day of the Boston 3-Day For the Cure, a 60-mile walk aimed at raising money and awareness to combat breast cancer. This was the first weekend in August, 2007 and it was 104 degrees. I don't think anyone's feet were made to sweat that much - so, yup - we got blisters - and heat rash - and sun burn. But no one that I encountered over those three days - and there were about 2,000 of us - no one, was whining. Why? Because the people of "The 3-Day" are a rising tide that inspires and lifts us all. I had never before been around that many strong, selfless, gracious and determined human beings in one place. The spirit of The 3-Day is infectious and I hope this blog will continue its spread. Maybe by talking about what I go through to fundraise and train for a 3-Day event, I can help people stay motivated and committed. I am proud to be associated with this cause. I am grateful I have the strength to walk. And I'm filled with joy that I can do it with such a great group of people. So I'll buck up and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Feel free to join me. But remember; no whining allowed!





Friday, July 16, 2010

The Final Countdown

One week from today, people; one week from today.

A couple of things happened on Wednesday that are relevant to this adventure we are about to have next week. First, I had a mandatory conference call with Boston 3-Day for the Cure Field Coordinator, Meredith. This was for official training walk leaders who are to serve as auxiliary safety monitors for the actual walk event. Our job is to remind people not to talk on their cell phones or listen to their I-pods en route and to help watch out for signs of heat exhaustion, dehydration, etc. among the ranks. It was a good conference call because it got everybody excited and enthused for next week. Everyone involved was an experienced walker and we took some time to share stories and “take-aways” from past events and training walks.

Meredith is very passionate about her job and she always seems to have inspiration and motivation to spare even as she enters that stressful crunch-time right before her big weekend. I had noticed at the kick-off Get Started Meeting way back in March that she likes to use quotes to begin and end her meetings, conferences and trainings – to help set the tone and get everyone in the right frame of mind for what they are about to undertake. The one that she used Wednesday night that really stuck with me was, “Courage doesn’t always roar.” Granted, life has its share of moments that demand the loud kind of courage – where we must shout down the enemy (whatever/whoever that might be); fight it off with everything we have, screaming, cursing or grunting as we go. But, if you think about it, you probably see the quiet kind of courage every day. You may not even notice it – you may be too distracted by the more boisterous, faux courage; the kind that, like the Cowardly Lion, roars loudly, but doesn’t actually possess any resolute bravery. It may be in the shy kid giving a book report at school; or the firefighter who lives down the street but doesn’t talk much about his job; or the chemo patient that never takes a sick day. I would like to suggest that we all tune-in to this element over the next few days and show praise and support for quiet courage everywhere that we can. Maybe it will spread. . . .

As an aside, several of us tried to get information about the walk details from Meredith that haven’t been readily available to date (like the exact location of camp. . . .) but we were unsuccessful. The only thing I learned that I didn’t already know is that this year’s event caterer providing meals in camp will be the same caterer that served the Vancouver Olympics. So we should all expect some decent grub next weekend. Not that the food has ever been bad – and certainly in no short supply – they don’t call it “The 3-Day Buffet” for nothing!

The other thing that happened on Wednesday was quite unexpected. I was asked to be a flag-bearer at the opening ceremony of The Boston 3-Day for the Cure. I could not be more thrilled and honored about this and am really looking forward to it. I will need to go to Framingham earlier than planned on Thursday for a rehearsal, which, of course, will only add to the excitement. I look forward to writing about that – I believe I will see the 3-Day Walkers from a different perspective than I have in the past – having always been packed into the middle of them. I may actually get to see the forest through the trees this time. . . . What I’m getting at is, I do plan to keep up with this blog even after the 3-Day is over, because I think I will still have plenty of things to ruminate about, lend perspective to and just plain get off my chest (so to speak) post-event and well into the future.

So let the Final Countdown begin – I am already checking the Weather Channel web page several times a day (possible thundershowers Sunday, but that could change!) and have taped my packing list to my rolling duffle so I’m ready to start checking things off. Also, as of yesterday morning, my hair is streaked pink and will stay that way for the foreseeable future. In terms of last minute tips, I would offer the following: Dry Feet are Happy Feet; Equal amounts of water and Gatorade seem to serve most people well in the heat; Pre-hydrate! (Drink extra fluids the day before!); Advil PM is a great invention (so are Tiger Balm and ear plugs); Don’t forget your tent decorations (even if you’re not in a streamers and garlandy mood, they help you identify your spot in an ocean of pink sameness)! Finally, remember that all you really need to have a life-changing 3-Day Experience are a well-trained body and an open heart. Enjoy every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment