This photo was taken almost 4 years ago, and although its true that memories fade, and although you can't see my face in the picture, I'm pretty sure I was smiling. The dirt alone was enough to make a person cry, for heaven's sake, never mind the blisters, but I was grinning from ear to ear. I took this picture of my feet on the second day of the Boston 3-Day For the Cure, a 60-mile walk aimed at raising money and awareness to combat breast cancer. This was the first weekend in August, 2007 and it was 104 degrees. I don't think anyone's feet were made to sweat that much - so, yup - we got blisters - and heat rash - and sun burn. But no one that I encountered over those three days - and there were about 2,000 of us - no one, was whining. Why? Because the people of "The 3-Day" are a rising tide that inspires and lifts us all. I had never before been around that many strong, selfless, gracious and determined human beings in one place. The spirit of The 3-Day is infectious and I hope this blog will continue its spread. Maybe by talking about what I go through to fundraise and train for a 3-Day event, I can help people stay motivated and committed. I am proud to be associated with this cause. I am grateful I have the strength to walk. And I'm filled with joy that I can do it with such a great group of people. So I'll buck up and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Feel free to join me. But remember; no whining allowed!





Monday, May 24, 2010

Bug Juice


I took a great walk yesterday; the usual route. It was overcast and breezy so I didn’t overheat and since it wasn’t sunny, I didn’t have to compete with beach traffic for a little strip of pavement. Had you been a passerby, though, you would have laughed at me. I imagine that for most of the way, I looked something like a dog who just spent some time at a fire hydrant; shaking one leg out behind him, then stomping it down and shaking the other. All because at some point, a mile or two in, I pulled a tick off my pants – and I REALLY HATE ticks. I was walking on-road so it’s not like I was in the wilderness. . . I became paranoid. I started obsessing about how it got there, how long it had been there, and whether or not there were more of them on me. So every few steps I would kick or stomp or jump, in an effort to reassure myself that I was getting rid of any hitch-hiking insects, beetles, bugs and arachnids. I checked the fanny pack: sunscreen, Chap Stick, lotion, sanitizer, Neosporin, hydrocortisone cream, Body Glide and baby powder. So, yeah, every topical skin application imaginable except bug spray. So there it is Walkers; your reminder! Now that the weather is nice and everyone is off their treadmills and outside walking in nature, beware of the creepies and the crawlies.

A little friend of ours is just getting over Lyme’s Disease. They realized it quickly and are keeping him on meds for a while to avoid any residual long-term effects – but he had “The Works” – rash, fever, Bell’s Palsy. Ten-year-old boys being what they are, many a joke was told in an effort to see poor Patrick smile, only to have one half of his face light up in a grin and the other half to remain motionless. To the sheer delight of every fourth grade boy in a 20-foot radius, of course. Yes, boys will be boys; but girls will be girls, too. A few years ago, my husband experienced a very similar thing with the Bell’s Palsy. When it came time to sleep, one eye would close but the other would stay open. In an effort to help him rest, my husband wore an eye-patch for a few nights, til the meds kicked in. I must confess to having told more than one bad pirate joke that week.

The good news is, both Hubby and young Patrick are doing well and they can both smile with their whole face now. But nobody wants to go thru any of that. And the long-term effects of Lyme’s Disease, if it goes untreated, can be quite serious. So, my 3-Day friends, please toss some repellant into your fanny pack. I know I’m not a “tip” blogger and I know others have covered the topic of gear and “what to carry” extensively so I won’t drone on. There are plenty of great options available: skin-friendly and environment-friendly bug sprays; heavy duty DEET-filled versions and non-toxic, chemical free ones. Just find one that works for you and that you feel good about using. Then slather it on and reap the benefits! No more itchy bug bites to ruin your walk! No more serious insect-borne illness! No more looking like a “relieved” dog! No more the butt of a tween boy’s joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment