This photo was taken almost 4 years ago, and although its true that memories fade, and although you can't see my face in the picture, I'm pretty sure I was smiling. The dirt alone was enough to make a person cry, for heaven's sake, never mind the blisters, but I was grinning from ear to ear. I took this picture of my feet on the second day of the Boston 3-Day For the Cure, a 60-mile walk aimed at raising money and awareness to combat breast cancer. This was the first weekend in August, 2007 and it was 104 degrees. I don't think anyone's feet were made to sweat that much - so, yup - we got blisters - and heat rash - and sun burn. But no one that I encountered over those three days - and there were about 2,000 of us - no one, was whining. Why? Because the people of "The 3-Day" are a rising tide that inspires and lifts us all. I had never before been around that many strong, selfless, gracious and determined human beings in one place. The spirit of The 3-Day is infectious and I hope this blog will continue its spread. Maybe by talking about what I go through to fundraise and train for a 3-Day event, I can help people stay motivated and committed. I am proud to be associated with this cause. I am grateful I have the strength to walk. And I'm filled with joy that I can do it with such a great group of people. So I'll buck up and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Feel free to join me. But remember; no whining allowed!





Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Share the Road


On my way to a Historic Commission meeting last night, I crossed paths with this guy! He walked down Ocean Road like he owned it til he finally crossed over into the tall grass and headed toward the beach. He had a fresh kill in his mouth and was probably looking for a quiet place to enjoy it. In a few short weeks, I'll be walking, with a couple thousand other people, down the streets of Boston like we own them. But we won't have to scavenge for food; we'll be enjoying what's called the 3-Day Buffet! In addition to the more than adequate camp meals, the pit stops are well-stocked with every snack you could want. And as I recall, the Boston spectators, cheering section, walker stalkers, whatever you want to call them, are VERY generous with the treats. Popsicles, hard candies, Tootsie Rolls, lemonade. Its a lasting impression I'll have for years to come. The support you get from your fellow walkers is one thing - but these perfect strangers that may or may not have anything to do with the cause or the walk. . . . well, its very touching. Some of them just happen to live on the route and they cheer for you as you walk past like they're at a Red Sox game. And instead of being grumpy about the inconvenience of having their road closed for a little while, they stand in their yard on a hot day and clap as you go by and give generously anything that they think will help you. Some of them will spray you down with their garden hose if you look too hot and some will even let you use their bathroom - a REAL bathroom! That kind of random selflessness doesn't go unnoticed - but its very difficult to repay. I think the best we can do to acknowledge and honor it is to live that spirit every day; give generously; applaud people in their efforts; share your Tootsie Rolls; and pat people on the back (or better yet, give them a hug) when you see them working so hard to achieve what they believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment