This photo was taken almost 4 years ago, and although its true that memories fade, and although you can't see my face in the picture, I'm pretty sure I was smiling. The dirt alone was enough to make a person cry, for heaven's sake, never mind the blisters, but I was grinning from ear to ear. I took this picture of my feet on the second day of the Boston 3-Day For the Cure, a 60-mile walk aimed at raising money and awareness to combat breast cancer. This was the first weekend in August, 2007 and it was 104 degrees. I don't think anyone's feet were made to sweat that much - so, yup - we got blisters - and heat rash - and sun burn. But no one that I encountered over those three days - and there were about 2,000 of us - no one, was whining. Why? Because the people of "The 3-Day" are a rising tide that inspires and lifts us all. I had never before been around that many strong, selfless, gracious and determined human beings in one place. The spirit of The 3-Day is infectious and I hope this blog will continue its spread. Maybe by talking about what I go through to fundraise and train for a 3-Day event, I can help people stay motivated and committed. I am proud to be associated with this cause. I am grateful I have the strength to walk. And I'm filled with joy that I can do it with such a great group of people. So I'll buck up and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Feel free to join me. But remember; no whining allowed!





Monday, May 17, 2010

Shadows

I know I have written about running on this blog that's supposed to be about walking and here's why. At some point, I realized that there's no way I can stick to the training schedule recommended by Susan G. Komen for the Cure and The 3-Day. There are simply not enough hours in the day. The program has worked well for me in the past and I would really like to follow it, but its not practical right now. The schedule builds the strength and endurance in your legs and allows you to toughen up your feet. Its definitely a plan worth following. But before I started pulling my hair out with frustration, I stopped and considered my time constraints and realized that if I run some of those miles, I might be able to stay close to on-track. Problem is, I'm not a runner. So I wasn't happy about this solution, but it really seemed to be the only way. I started small. At first, I would just finish out the last half mile of a long walk by running, just to speed it along. Then it would be the last mile. Then it would be one mile at the beginning and one at the end. Now if I only have a half hour or 45 minutes, I just run 3 or 4 miles and call it a day. Then on the weekend, or some other less-eventful day, I try to do the longer walks as recommended.

On days that I won't have much time, I like to get the quick run out of the way early. Get up with the birds and hit the road. Something about the sun coming up and the smell of the air at the start of the day gives me just enough energy to do what I have to. Its not really an opportunity to stop and smell the flowers; its more of a set the I-pod to something really peppy, don't linger or dawdle and just meet the day and bang it out.

The longer walks, on the other hand, I like to save and savor in the evening. I have this route that I like to follow, especially once the weather gets warm. I head out westerly from my house and then turn north for a while. When its time to loop back toward home, I head east to the water. There's always a breeze there and it cools me down just as I'm really working up a sweat. The best part though, is that the sun is directly behind me for a while, and my shadow gets longer and thinner out in front of me the further I go and it makes me smile. I have almost deceived myself into thinking that its how I'll really look when I'm done walking! Just kidding - when I was a little girl, I always pictured myself as a tall and elegant ballerina as an adult. But then my growth spurt never came. Oh well. I'll settle for being an almost average height spunky walker instead. But those training walks are just one more way in which The 3-Day elevates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment